Turn off "Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration is enabled"
In XP/2003 I can turn off the "Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration is enabled" in IE in the Add/Remove programs.

How do I do this in Windows Server 2003 / Longhorn?

Ian

July 27th, 2007 2:52pm

Found it finally.

Go to Server Manager
Click the top item in the tree to the left "Server Manager"
On the page that appears, go to "Security Information"
Look for "Configure IE ESC" on the right.

Perhaps IE ESC could be renamed to "IE Security"

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 27th, 2007 2:57pm

Why is not just in ....Internet explored security options.....DUH ...another common sense out the window scenario.....

It shoud bea checkbox on the main security tab......you are welcome Microsoft....please send me a check.....
October 7th, 2007 2:21pm

I have just installed Server 2008 for the first time.  But the documentation is still of Server 2003 vintage.

res://iesetup.dll/IESechelp.htm#manage on my system says:

Go to Control Panel and then Add or Remove Programs.  I assume it's Program and Features.

Then it says go to Add/Remove Windows Components.  I assume it's now Turn Windows features on or off.

Well, it's nowhere to be found under Turn Windows features on or off.

July 8th, 2010 6:14am

Sorry to confuse.  I did see the answer by Ian Vink.  Posted my message hoping that the powers that be see it and will update the doucmentation.
July 8th, 2010 2:17pm

Fuck you microsoft.  yet another asshole move.  Lets make it really fucking frustrating....
  • Proposed as answer by klab Saturday, July 30, 2011 7:24 AM
June 11th, 2011 2:43am

This is for windows server 2003.

To enable/Disable Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration

1. Open Control Panel, click Add or Remove Programs, and then click Add/Remove Windows Components.
  2. Select Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration, and then do one of the following:
    • To apply the Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration to both administrators and all other users, click Next.
    • To apply the Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration to only one of these groups (either administrators or users who are not in an Administrators group), click Details, select either For administrator groups or For all other user groups.
  3. Click Next, and then click Finish.
  4. Restart Internet Explorer to apply the enhanced security settings.

August 17th, 2011 6:40am

Without a doubt the single most annoying time consuming feature built into Windows.
September 17th, 2011 6:56pm

Hello all. I have the same problem with my SEPM. The problem come from firewall in my case. I using Isa server 2004. I make a rule who allow all outbound traffic from "Computer" sepm-hostname/ip address (this is object in firewall who have to be created from the appropriate menu) to External network.

Everything run smoothly. No more error = 4 or 2.

For future use. Almost 99% of the returned error 4 or 2 is related to firewalls.

Good luck to all and sorry for may pure English.

October 4th, 2011 10:23am

This is amazingly difficult. Is there a single definitive list that says exactly what to do?
January 9th, 2012 7:46pm

Instead of complaining, perhaps an alternate solution is for you to develop your own web browser.  You design it to your satisfaction and deal with security issues yourself.  If you don't like IE, make your own path.
  • Proposed as answer by toddrenouf Friday, April 06, 2012 2:12 AM
  • Unproposed as answer by toddrenouf Friday, April 06, 2012 2:12 AM
February 16th, 2012 6:09pm

Can someone explain this screen shot...  Server Manager says its off, but the browser says (and behaves as if) its on...

When logged in as THE Administrator the setting is honored, but when logged in as any other account it is not.

May 1st, 2012 1:00am

Restart Internet Explorer then it should work
June 12th, 2012 12:05pm

god only knows why this is enabled by default at all.  just another thing for administrators to have to disable by default on every single server.  Haven't met a single admin who ever leaves this enabled.
March 6th, 2013 7:02pm

On a Windows 2003 terminal server adding the IE ESC and re-adding solved the problem for administrator users only. 

The fix for remote desktop users was to search the registry for the IEHarden and IEHardenIENoWarn values for each users profile within the registry and set the value to 0.
October 23rd, 2013 4:12pm

We believe in helping and Improving things with our reviews :) 

Re inventing the wheel is not going to help and I think Microsoft should be happy that customers are dropping their comments/Reviews so that they can take care of it in their Next versions or release a patch.

Noticed?  instead of coming here people could have started using Google Chrome/FireFox etc but the real guys are here.

October 31st, 2013 9:35am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics